Quote

If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?

-- Albert Einstein

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Alive in Joburg (Hoping for District 10 in 3 years...)

Where to begin? The showing was delayed for more than 1/2hr, I almost wanna call for a refund; the air-con was on full blast until I have to have my own intermission thus missing few minutes of show, some parts of the analogue film have defects that was so disturbing on screen... but heck, District 9 is by far one of the best film I have watched this year!

Like all good Sci-Fi, a thriller on the surface but a social commentary at its core, the small film that could (30mill budget to Hollywood standard is nothing), shot with faux-documentary style, really blows me away (with its exploding Tesla guns). In the end, the film celebrates the strength of camaraderie and takes stabs at many social political issues such as refugees, racial prejudice, threat of giant corporate power.


Although the "Produced by Peter Jackson" on the credits are one of the first things that attracted my attention, as a director, Neill Blomkamp is now on my radar. Here's hoping more good things to come. Heck, I'm crossing my fingers for District 10 already... "I'll be back in three years. I promise" -- Christopher Johnson

Now, I gotta go find that original short film D9 is based upon...

P.S. Next time, remember to bring a jacket whenever step into GSCs...

No comments: